Friday, July 31, 2009

I'm Back!

OK, I have been avoiding this blog like the plague. If you are still out there, thanks for checking in. I'm back!

I've been gone because I have been REALLY good at coming up with all kinds of rationalizations about my diet and exercise (or lack thereof) and why I have nothing of interest to blog about.

Well, here's something interesting: My weight has been creeping up again, to around 160 pounds. Completely unacceptable to me. SO depressing and frustrating to me that I've done nothing but GAIN weight since I started this blog.

Yet, I have been exercising regularly (not quite as consistently as I'd like, but at least a couple times a week at minimum). I've been doing Zumba, kickboxing, and step classes, which I really enjoy. I've been jogging every now and then (I've run two 5k's since April) and do workout DVD's (P.M. Yoga, Slim In Six, Zumba, Weight Loss Yoga) at home when I can. And we've been on vacation. Taking 3 kids to the beach every day is like exercising all day long.

Exercise has become essential to me in managing my stress level, and it makes me happier. Plus, it have given me quality time with my daughter - I've run both the 5k's with her, and it was more enjoyable than I'd have ever imagined. She's 9, and as she grows older, I know she'll want to spend less and less time with me - but maybe we can continue to do fun and healthy activities such as this that we both enjoy.

So, you may be thinking, what's the problem? Why is my weight continuing to do the slow creep upwards?

Simple answer: I eat too much and drink too much soda. I have yet to find an eating plan that works and is sustainable for me. I like to eat, I don't like any kind of deprivation, and have a strong addiction to regular soda.

Soon after my last post about Suzanne Somers, which was working for me at the time, I decided to stop it after a follow up visit to the Dr. revealed I had more kidney stones (which we thought was just a pregnancy thing last year). They are just waiting for their time to move. Uh-oh. Dr. C told me to avoid dark sodas, teas, and any high protein-low carb diets. since my stones are calcium oxalate and may be caused by some things in my diet. Bye-bye, Suzanne.

I haven't had any tea since that appointment (I used to drink hot tea in the morning, iced tea at night). But dark soda? Less success here. I definitely haven't been drinking as much of it, but I still gotta have it. And regular soda too, not diet. I hate diet soda's taste, and aspartame gives me blinding headaches.

I know my soda consumption is one of my biggest issues. It seems to be, for me, similar to any other addiction - I give it up, it's all good for a while, and then one day I say, I'll just have one," and so I do. And then I slide back down the slippery slope into drinking them every day. Repeat cycle, over and over again.

I've stopped drinking soda in restaurants. My motivation is two fold - health and money. Seriously, if most of your family orders water with dinner, you'll save almost $10. And feel less full at the end of the meal. Works for me.

I stopped buying soda at the grocery store, so it does not exist in my home. Easy to avoid if it's not there. I drink water or 4C Lemonade with Splenda (delicious).

So what's the problem? Work. They have fountain sodas there. Fountain sodas, to me, taste much better than cans or bottles. I bring in bottles of flavored seltzer to drink instead, but it never lasts. Like some people need their coffee in the a.m., I need my large fountain Coke. I try to only have one a day, but it's a 20 ounce cup, and if I'm careful, I can make that last through lunch.

So what's the solution? I have no idea. Maybe another attack of kidney stones will be the last straw. I hope it doesn't get to that. But I've gotta stop drinking soda, I know. Just that one thing will likely make a huge difference. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Back to work here. I'll weigh in on Monday.

Mrs. *

*As for why this doesn't say Mr. as well, he's so far off the wagon, I don't know if he'll be back, but I have hope. He is slowly creeping upward as well, just finished a huge project at work, so maybe he'll come back.

No comments: