Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Year, a New Me

Are you still visiting here? Bless your heart. Thanks for coming back, and for sticking with me.

Sometimes I go away (usually because I'm on a shame spiral), but eventually I come back. Kind of like cockroaches.

Anyway, it's a NEW YEAR. And I've got new motivation:

I TURN 40 THIS YEAR.

Yes, 40.

And I am most unhappy with the way I look- that's the bad news.

The good news: I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Like I posted on my other blog, I'm not going to obsess about what I DIDN'T do in the past.

I'm going to focus on what I did accomplish over the past year, such as:
  • Regularly going to fitness classes
  • Regularly going to the gym at work
  • Participating in pedometer contests at work (often was named top performer for my team!)
  • Going to my health club when I can
  • Running regularly on my treadmill at home
  • I ran four 5k races, improving my time with each one
  • I had periods of time where I gave up soda
  • I did a lot of yoga, which was great for my stress level, sleep habits, and flexibility
  • I read some great books about health/weight loss: Fighting Fat After Forty, Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? and others
  • I purchased a book to read in the new year: The Zen of Eating and Eating Mindfully
  • I tried new healthy recipes
Looking over all that, I did come along way last year, since prior to 2009, I really wasn't doing any of these things.

All this did wonders for my stress level. My muscles and heart are stronger from the consistent exercise.

Unfortunately, with all I accomplished above, I did not accomplish ANY weight loss. In fact, I GAINED weight.

But I refuse to try another diet. I've done them all, and have eventually rebelled against them all. I don't do well with restriction and rules. But I know I can't continue the crap food free for all. But I'm going to try some things that I hope evolve into habits:
  • Pack my lunch for work often (controlling portions as well as costs)
  • Eat less meat
  • Eat more fruits/vegetables
  • Be aware of portion sizes and try to reduce them without obsessing
  • Drink less soda, more water/tea
  • Commit to planning ahead to cook healthy meals for my family
  • Continue challenging myself with exercise
  • Run consistently in the mornings before work
  • Continue running races, 5k's and maybe even a 5-miler or 10k
  • Read The Zen of Eating and Eating Mindfully
  • Stop obsessing over the small stuff
I hope these things will push the scale downward. Speaking of the scale, the weekly weigh-ins are back - starting MONDAY.

Enjoy the rest of your week and visit again soon!

No comments: