Monday, September 14, 2009

Weigh In #17: 5k, here we come

I'm back in workout mode. I successfully completed the first week of 5k training. It's not THAT much of an accomplishment, because it was just 4 days of 30 minute walks. Not very hard. But I was determined to stick to it.

THIS week we start the actual running. I'm trying to be very disciplined and finish out this plan. Discipline is not something that comes easily to me - maybe my parents should have sent me to military school.

Mr. decided to do the 5k training program with me. He did the first two days of walks, then he hurt his back and was out of commission for a few days. He is going to start the program over again this week.

Even though I'm back in workout mode, no weight loss. In fact, weight gain. Yeah, it sucks, big time.

I started reading a new book, Fight Fat After Forty: The Revolutionary Three-Pronged Approach That Will Break Your Stress-Fat Cycle and Make You Healthy, Fit, and Trim for Life by Pamela Peeke, M.D.

It's one of those books where as I'm reading it, I feel like the author is speaking SPECIFICALLY TO ME.

Mind you, I'm not yet 40, but close enough. And I've got stress fat galore. I'm working my way through the book and once I become clear on the plan, I'll implement it (and of course let you know more about it).

So far, what I've gleaned is that you've got to exercise regularly, do your best to deal with stress in your life, watch portions, up fruits and vegetables, and not eat complex carbs for dinner most nights.

Not rocket science, I've heard all those things before.

But in the book Dr. Peeke really breaks down physiologically what happens to a woman's body with age . . . and scientifically why we need more activity and less calories as we get older.

The message that's really stuck with me is that eating healthy and exercising is not just to get and stay thin- in your forties and beyond, it's more important to do these things in order to AVOID DISEASE so that you may live for a very long time. I want to live to be at my grandchildrens' weddings and beyond!

I've already started trying to reduce stress by upping my yoga sessions this week. And I've been bringing grapes to work to snack on in the afternoon rather than hitting up the candy and cookies that are always floating around the office.

So here goes:

Mrs.

Starting weight: 152 pounds

Goal weight: 130 pounds

Current weight: 163.2

Pounds lost (gained) this week: 2 pounds gained

Total pounds lost (gained): (11.2)

Pounds left to lose: 33.2

Workouts: 1 Zumba class, 4 days of 30 minute walks, 4 "P.M. Yoga" video sessions


Mr.

Starting weight: 245 pounds

Goal weight: 185 pounds

Current weight: 238

Pounds lost (gained) this week: (unknown)

Total pounds lost: 7

Pounds left to lose: 45

Workouts: 2 - 30 minute walks

No comments: