Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Our Story: No More Excuses!

Hello! We are Mr. and Mrs. Wannabe Skinny, and we really, really, want to be skinny. Our weight has been creeping up on us ever since we got married in 1996. We weigh too much and we know we need to be healthier for our three wonderful kids.

We've tried every diet under the sun: Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Suzanne Somers, to name a few. All of them work, temporarily. But then the weight comes back as soon as we figure out that we are being deprived of something. We don't like being deprived.

Here are our goals. We will post more individually about how specifically we will meet these goals
  • Make healthier choices in cooking and eating out
  • Minimize indulgences (we know trying to eliminate them altogether doesn't work and causes rebellion!)
  • Exercise more (at least some activity every day)
  • Be bathing suit ready by spring!
  • Stop avoiding the above by using lame excuses
We are full of excuses why we can't eat better and exercise more. Here are some of our favorites:

Excuses to eat too much/eat unhealthy food:
  • I'm stressed
  • I'm too busy to cook healthy
  • I'm traveling/working/eating out so I can have whatever I want
  • Healthy food is too expensive to buy at the store
  • I'm celebrating (and we can think of pretty much anything to celebrate!)
  • I'm on vacation/it's the holidays
Excuses to avoid exercise:
  • I'm tired
  • I'm too busy at work
  • I have too much other stuff to do
  • No one to watch the kids (even though we have a treadmill, exercise videos, and our gym has a babysitting service)
  • I need sleep more
  • I don't have the time (although I sit in front of the TV for hours every night)
So, our first priority is to recognize when we are giving a lame excuse and overcome it. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Elastomom said...

Good luck! I'll check in on you. We need to do the same. I start a 2 week boot camp Monday morning at 5:30! Ick! I figured it would be a good way to get me kick started though and I should be back home before the baby is awake.

Eli said...

Wow! I know those excuses by heart! I can't wait to follow your success!